6 minute read
Residential construction projects rarely seem to go precisely as planned. Each new build or home renovation has a wide range of moving parts – and people – each with dependencies upon another.
Detailed coordination is key, and when one stage of a project experiences a delay or unexpectedly shifts ahead of schedule, it impacts each phase that follows. This “domino effect” caused by insufficient scheduling can be costly.
Unfortunately, some home construction and remodeling professionals have developed a poor reputation. These days, homeowners are being told to expect their building or renovation project to take longer, and cost more, than they originally estimated.
The scheduling “situation” isn’t only frustrating for homeowners. Time inefficiencies are costly for pros too. If you’re a general contractor, you’re likely carrying added costs from overtime/second shifts on most of your projects due to schedule slippage.
Tackling the problem of wasted time
So, it may be surprising to learn that only about half of construction businesses utilize digital tools to help them manage tasks like scheduling, and less than one-third use software to help them handle critical functions like tracking invoices or expenses.
If you’re among those looking for construction scheduling software that will help bring efficiency and visibility to your operations, you’re in the right place.
Getting started with construction scheduling software
Start by using a construction project scheduling software, like Buildxact and create a critical path construction schedule. Building this type of detailed plan will outline all the tasks, timelines and resources necessary to complete the project; and will specify what gets done, when.
An effective construction project schedule details:
- What construction activities are to be completed
- How long the activities will take to accomplish, start-to-finish
- What resources – materials or personnel – are required to complete the activities
In other words, plan your work, work your plan.
What are the advantages of construction project scheduling software?
Every home builder and general contractor wears many hats and is looking for ways to manage their projects more efficiently.
A well-defined plan puts you in a position for successful, on-time job completion. This is especially crucial for companies with back-to-back deadlines or those who are managing multiple projects at once.
The benefits of construction project scheduling software include:
- Fewer surprises: A well-planned project using construction project scheduling software helps to eliminate the element of surprise. Working through the fine details before the start, helps to prevent eleventh-hour changes and gives you more control over the project outcome.
- More quality control: Project quality and therefore, client satisfaction, only gets better with a well thought out schedule. Using construction project scheduling software allows advance planning to ensure that the right materials are on-hand when they’re needed.
- Improves planning and productivity: Construction project scheduling software helps to organize resources like labor, financing, and equipment more efficiently, so everyone involved in the project — from subcontractors and laborers to suppliers — can collaborate to better plan their activities and complete each phase of the project on time.
- Decreases risks: The well-being of everyone onsite is a major concern in any construction project. Using a construction project scheduling software helps to identify who should be on the premises at any given time and when personal protective equipment like hard hats, boots, goggles, and earplugs should be worn eliminating any unnecessary risks to your business.
- Quickly adapt to disruptions: The unexpected happens in construction, whether it’s a dramatic change in the weather directly affecting the jobsite to sudden changes in staff or sub shifts. Using construction project scheduling software will allow you to create a contingency plan, respond to unexpected disruptions, and communicate any sudden changes quickly without relying on a phone tree.
Why construction project scheduling is a must-have
Convinced and ready to get started creating your project schedules using software? Here are the top features to consider when looking for your construction project schedule software:
Better resource allocation: A preview of how your team is tracking — employees and subs — using a scheduling software for construction crews gives you more control to better allocate resources. Buildxact offers easy-to-use residential construction scheduling project software for scheduling and project management.
Real-time detail tracking: Residential construction scheduling software offers a bird’s eye view of each project phase and the opportunity to prepare a comprehensive schedule, make as-needed updates, and track progress at a glance or view the step-by-step specifics along the way.
The flexibility of Buildxact‘s project scheduling software makes it possible to connect dependent activities, add new items and maintain a precise plan. Color-coded progress tracking makes it easy to see how each phase of your project is advancing.
Detailed reporting: residential construction project scheduling software, like Buildxact, gives you the power to generate as much or little data as you need. Easy to read Gantt charts of your schedule enable you to view the progress or final project reports, which give insight into how well your projects performed on cost, manpower, and your profitability.
Efficient project modeling: Construction estimating and scheduling software allows you to use repeatable project templates, which makes it possible for you to execute planning more efficiently.
Once you’ve saved a project schedule, Buildxact allows you to use that same schedule as the model for future projects of the same type. For instance, once the schedule for a townhouse build is complete, that same timeline can easily be used again to guide similar projects in the future.
Communication efficiency: Collaborating and communicating with subs, suppliers, and your staff is made easier with construction project scheduling software with automated reminders that can be sent via email or text message.
More control: With Buildxact construction estimating and project scheduling software, developing your project plan can ̶ and does ̶ start with the estimate. While creating your estimate you can select which items should be part of the build schedule; doing so enables you to work more efficiently and, organize and save all project details in one location.
Buildxact provides a better scheduling solution (and then some!)
Our cloud-based construction project scheduling software helps to bring transparency to every job, optimize resources and create efficiencies that help building professionals to avoid common (and costly) scheduling mistakes.
Buildxact enhances communication and project collaboration among team members, and with partners. Easy-to-access, real-time schedules and alerts allow users to monitor progress, address hurdles, make updates and connect dependent tasks to build each project phase automatically.
“So, across the board we just become more efficient, and the transfer of information is a lot easier,” said Jeremy De Paz, project manager at Waterloo City Construction in Austin, Texas. “Data and information are not lost in translation or as we’re transferring it from one person to another.”
More than just a powerful scheduling tool, Buildxact‘s comprehensive construction management software enables residential building and remodeling professionals to:
- Complete takeoffs
- Provide accurate estimates
- Create accurate, branded quotes
- Track and control costs
- Manage budgets and invoicing
Still have questions?
We’ve made it easy for you to do a deep dive and get all details about each of these Buildxact features and functions. Visit our video tutorial page to see firsthand how to put Buildxact to work for your business.
Ready to take control of your project management, instead of your projects running you?